12 Feb 2015

Deliciously Ella at Waterstones, Bath


At just 23-years-old, Ella Woodward, is taking over the internet with her raw brownies and quinoa salads. Her blog, Deliciously Ella, has surpassed 17 million hits, (there is now an app too), and she has more than 26,000 Twitter followers, 65,000 Facebook likes, and 250,000 Instagram followers. All that lead to the publication of Ella’s new recipe book, Deliciously Ella: Awesome Ingredients, Incredible Food That You and Your Body Will Love which has just hit the shelves.

Last night Bath’s Waterstones hosted An Evening with Deliciously Ella, compèred by Crumbs editor, Laura Rowe. It was the place to be to find out about more about Ella’s foodie philosophy and ask her your own questions. Lots of glowing-faced, silky haired, healthy foodies squished in the bookshop to listen to Laura in conversation with Ella. Although I couldn't see their faces throughout the interview Ella’s wise words could still be heard. She shared some of her story…

After being diagnosed with Postural Tachycardia Syndrome (PoTS), which left her unable to walk down the street, extremely fatigued and in chronic pain for every other hour, Ella realised she needed to change her lifestyle. Lots of medication and a sugar-laden diet weren't helping – “I used to live on Haribo and Ben&Jerry’s but when I was ill the doctors didn't even ask about my diet.” After reading the best-selling book by Kris Carr’s Crazy Sexy Diet, Ella was inspired to give healthy eating a go, she said last night, “I had nothing to lose. Almost overnight I cut out meat, diary, refined sugar, gluten and processed foods. I remember opening up the food section of the book and seeing just kale and cucumber and thinking I can’t live off just that! I’m not a huge fan of salad anyway.” But wasn't it hard giving up all of that straight away? Ella said, “At first I’d go out for dinner with my friends and envy their burger. But now I appreciate why that burger appeals to them but it just doesn't appeal to me.”

So that was when Ella decided to start her blog. She said, “I started the blog for me and not for anyone else – I had to learn how to cook. I wanted to make cooking healthy but interesting.” The blog is now major and people from around the world visit. Not only is the blog successful, it seems this lifestyle change did really work. Ella is now no longer taking medication and leads an active life. “Eating this way is a lifestyle. It’s not a quick two week fix.”“It’s amazing what you can do with vegetables. There are tons and tons of cool things you can make. A plant-based diet doesn't have to be boring. Although, I don’t want people to be put off because they still want to eat meat. Just add the chicken to my curry or sprinkle on some cheese. It doesn't have to be restrictive and it’s down to what you like.”

Her new cookbook sold 32,144 copies in the week ending the 31st January and is the highest first week sales figure for a debut food and drink writer since Nielsen BookScan records began in 1998. When talking about the recipes she told the audience, “the recipes are quick and easy because I want something delicious and filling in half an hour…and I hate washing up! In my recipes I've included ingredients you can use again and again. There aren't any ingredients which you've never heard of and only use once. Not everyone is familiar with almond butter perhaps, but you can use it in lots of my recipes.”

Her main philosophy, it seems, is “Listen to what your body wants and needs and don’t be put off because it’s a recipe book filled with veggie and vegan recipes. I want to create an environment where everyone feels part of it.”

1 comment:

  1. It's so amazing how much Ella has accomplished at just 23! Sounds like a fantastic evening xx

    ReplyDelete