12 Mar 2014

Purple Smoothie

 
I'm not sure about you, but with university work picking up and the cold weather, I've been stuffing myself with all sorts of toxic food including, pizza, cupcakes and chips. Not good.

So this morning I made a purple smoothie to detox and energise my body. Spinach is a great source of iron and is something I prefer mixing into a smoothie, rather than eat on its own. Chia seeds are full of antioxidants and omega-3's, therefore adding a tbsp. full will boost its nutritional value. Cinnamon helps regulate blood sugar levels whilst the banana is a slow releasing energy food. Here is how to make it:
  
 
Ingredients:
1 banana
Handful of spinach
Handful of blackberries (I freeze mine)
1 tbsp. chia seeds
Half tsp. of cinnamon
1 tsp. of vanilla essence
Splash of orange juice
 
Method:
 
Peel and chop the banana, then put into a blender. Add the spinach and blackberries and whizz. Next, add the chia seeds, vanilla essence, cinnamon and lastly, the orange juice. Whizz the ingredients together into a thick smoothie. Pour into a glass and enjoy.


1 comment: